Tuesday, June 19, 2007

VBS 2007 "Avalanche Ranch"

All of last week, I helped out with a VBS at Grace Community Church, where my aunt goes to church. It was fun in some ways. I was one of the leaders for Bobby's class (2nd grade), which I think helped him a lot. My aunt was the main second grade leader, so with the combination of his sister and his aunt, he wasn't so afraid that kids would make fun of him.

The theme that Grace was doing was Avalanche Ranch, by Group Publishing. It was a western theme which led to things like hay being strewn all around the church. We had about 25 kids in our class with about 15 of them being boys. Also, 4 of the 5 days the games were with water so Bobby couldn't play, because of his central line. All of it was pretty good, but like with every VBS it had its drawbacks. The biggest one that I saw was the fact that for three days in a row, the bible story was from the Old Testament. Then suddenly on Thursday they are doing the story of the resurrection and telling kids how important it is to be saved. The next day we are back to the Old Testament with the story of Naaman. The "Bible point" and Bible story for each day are as follows:

Day One: God is real! (Rahab hides the spies)
Day Two: God is with us! (The Jordan River crossing)
Day Three: God is strong! (Jericho)
Day Four: God is awesome! (Crucifixion & Resurrection)
Day Five: God is in charge! (Naaman is healed of leprosy)

Now, while all of these Bible points are true, I think that maybe we could find something better. How about:

Day One: God created the whole world, including us
Day Two: We are all sinners and are doomed to eternal life in Hell
Day Three: But we don't have to stay doomed because:
Day Four: God sent his son to die for us
Day Five: If you repent and believe, you can be saved.

So I guess that I am giving Vacation Bible School a little bit of a blast because I think that Lifeway and Group could make a little better VBS than the options that are available for 2007.

But I do have to say, doing Avalanche Ranch all week was worth it all just to see my dad stand up and do the "riding a horse" motions to the theme song in the final service on Friday night. It made my day, no rather, my week.

3 comments:

Alice C. said...

I really enjoyed seeing Daddy do the "ride the horsey" motions, too. He looks so cute! No really, honey, I was proud of you for helping Aunt Esther so nicely and acting like a mature young woman. You did a great job!

Kristen said...

Hey Caroline VBS was fun last week but I totally agree with you. I felt so bad for Bobby in game time since he couldn't play the games. Hope to see you soon

Kristen

Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline, i'm a guest to your webpage but i read bobby's guestbook...WOW! is relly what comes to mind...you seem so grounded in your faith...i completely agree with you i do believe that we should teach creation at bible school...i am a teacher at my vbs this year and am having a lot of fun and am soo glad to hear that you too had fun helping out...Praying for you, Stephanie Deal