Saturday, October 24, 2009

National Novel Writing Month


November is National Novel Writing Month. I've signed up on the website nanowrimo.org to write novel during the month of November. The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel between November 1st and 30th. I don't really think that it will happen in my case, but I'm going to have fun trying. The main site is for people 13 and over. There is also a site for younger people (ages 17 and down) at ywp.nanowrimo.org. So theoretically, if you are between the ages of 13 and 17, you can sign up on both sites.

The best part is that if you reach 50,000 words, you become a winner, and if you don't reach the goal, nothing happens to you. (On the Young Writer's site you can set your word count goal to be lower than 50,000.) People that reach the word count goal and become winners are also eligible to receive a free proof copy of their novel from createspace.com which is a self-publishing site. Also, to clarify, the people who run these websites won't read your novel. They simply count your words to see if you have reached the goal.

I am a official participant this year. I'm not totally sure what my novel is going to be, but it is in the fantasy genre. I'll post more details as I write.

***I am noting that the forums sometimes contain somewhat inappropriate things, as these are not Christian websites. However, very inappropriate content can be reported.

I think this will be a fun experience. Please check out these websites if you are interested in writing novels.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Good Luck Caroline!!! I hope you win!!!

Lindsay :)

Jayko Ammagen said...

Wow, that sounds cool!!
I LOVE writing novels, but my longest was only about 90 pages, front and back.
I think my novel would be a little boring, if I had to make it 50,000 pages long!
Good luck!!

-Jayko Ammagen

Caroline said...

I just realized that there was one place where it said 50,000 pages instead of words. Sorry about that. It is 50,000 words. Which I won't be making anyway.........